To purchase this image go to the image record page on our current site. Then click the "Buy This Image" button and follow the prompts.
The sandstone house known as Walker's Castle was located in the 900 block of East Gorham Street. According to newspaper articles, it was built in about 1861 by an Englishman named Benjamin Walker, who moved to Madison with his wife and three children. After they moved back to England in about 1863, the property was sold to William Thompson, who resided there for several years with his family. After being vacant for many years, ownership passed to Timothy Brown, a prominent businessman. Sometime after he died in 1879, his son Frank demolished the castle and used the stone to construct the home of J.L. Tormey at 137 E. Gorham Street and part of the building at Carroll and Langdon streets. By 1930 a house was built on the lot by Dr. Arthur Sullivan (930 E. Gorham). Since about 1940 the site has been occupied by the Christ Presbyterian Church.
Image ID: 29806
Creation Date: 1938 ca.
Creator Name: Ford, Winifred
Collection Name: Ford, Winifred Watercolor Collection
Original Format Type: paintings
Original Format Number: PH 1669.40 (5)
Original Dimensions: 24 x 19 inches
Cities and towns
RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.
Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Location: Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin
To buy the image on this page, see the instructions under the image.
Nearly all online visual materials are available for purchase on our current website as high-quality archival pigment prints or digital files, and many may be licensed for commercial and nonprofit use.
For more information, see our FAQs. Photocopies of documents in the physical collections are available for a fee.