522 Chapple Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

522 Chapple Avenue

National Register or State Register

NAMES

Historic Name: Wilmarth, Lewis C. and Caroline, House

Reference Number: 12001252

PROPERTY LOCATION

Location (Address): 522 Chapple Avenue

County: Ashland

City/Village: Ashland

Township: 

SUMMARY

Lewis C. and Caroline Wilmarth House
522 Chapple Avenue, Ashland, Ashland County
Construction Date: 1885, 1918, 1957

The Wilmarth House/Ashland General Hospital is situated on the northern edge of one of the city's premier residential neighborhoods, five blocks uphill from the Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior. The current building represents two major construction periods: the 1885 mansion and the 1918 hospital wing.

The original house is a combination of the Georgian and Neoclassical styles of architecture, a unique concoction exemplifying the character of its owner and possible architect and the unrestrained American spirit of the Gilded Age. The red brick building is accented by cut sandstone quoins, stringcourses, sills and lintels, and a heavy wood entablature. The north two-story portico is defined by four colossal columns of the Corinthian order. The interior has elaborate woodwork, fireplace trim and doors and ornate plaster cornices and ceiling relief, the style of which varies from room to room and floor to floor. Built by Ashland's first banker, Lewis Cass Wilmarth, the 1885 residence retains most of its architectural detail in near original condition, despite functioning as something other than family home for most of its existence.

Ashland General Hospital was founded and funded by local people concerned for the health needs of their fellow citizens in a dramatic 10-day campaign. Between 1917 and 1972, the house served primarily as the entrance and administrative space for the larger ward and treatment wing added to the building's east side. The 1918 hospital and the 1957 elevator extension were remolded in 1999 for their current use as multi-family housing.

The building is privately owned. Please respect the rights and privacy of the property owners and residents.

PROPERTY FEATURES

Period of Significance: 1885-1918

Area of Significance: Architecture

Applicable Criteria: Architecture/Engineering

Historic Use: Domestic: Single Dwelling

Historic Use: Health Care: Hospital

Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Architectural Style: Colonial Revival

Resource Type: Building

Architect: unknown

DESIGNATIONS

Historic Status: Listed in the National Register

Historic Status: Listed in the State Register

National Historic Landmark Listing Date:

National Register Listing Date: 2013-01-29

State Register Listing Date: 2011-11-11

NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY

Number of Contributing Buildings: 1

Number of Contributing Sites: 0

Number of Contributing Structures: 0

Number of Contributing Objects: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Buildings: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Sites: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Structures: 0

Number of Non-Contributing Objects: 0

RECORD LOCATION

National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation-Public History, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".
.
<
Donate Now.